Wednesday, December 18, 2019

Eliminating Voters

Generally when you take an action it should make something better, not worse.

So we see a concerted effort underway to invalidate voter registrations, primarily in states controlled by republicans who don't like people in democratic area voting.

Now, the actions generally involve invalidating voter registrations because someone did not respond to a mailing.

This might have had some validity at one time, but I know that snail mail I get has a good chance of being discarded unopened if it isn't clearly something important.

Putting Important on the envelope isn't enough, in fact it almost a flag that it isn't, at least to my way of thinking.

I have opted everywhere I can to get mail electronically, and this includes statements and bills, so what I get via snail mail is almost exclusively spam, including ironically, many exclusive offers.

Now I do get a certain amount of official correspondence from say the Department of Motor Vehicles and other government agencies, but I know who they are.

Without having received a letter questioning my existence from some state commission to eliminate voters, I don't know if I would recognize it.

It would sound like spam if I even opened it, asking me to verify personnel information, something that is generally discouraged nowadays.

It would likely warn me that failure to respond could result in loss of my privileges, a common spam tactic.

The question is eliminating some number of people who has died or moved and therefore weren't going to vote anyways doesn't justify eliminating actual voters who might vote for someone you don't like.

Unless of course that was your objective all along.

No comments:

Post a Comment