Monday, June 14, 2021

Traitors Among Us

I have always lived thinking that almost everybody in this country shared certain values, one of which was a degree of patriotism and belief in our system of Government.

People disagreed with certain policies and worked to change them but very few were attempting the overthrow of our Government. The following is the oath that I and every military and Government employee has to take.

“I, (Name), do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God.”

I took it seriously and while it is sometimes done in group settings or even remotely it has an impact.

People did protest for many things in my lifetime, Civil Rights, Vietnam, Woman's Rights, etc. etc. but I never viewed these protests as an attempt to overthrow the Government of deny the Constitution.  

The only tie I ever saw that to any real degree is now with the storming of the Capitol and the attempt to undermine out electoral process.

There have been some close elections but the eventual losers always acted with a certain amount of grace and accepted that we once again followed our rules.  

We saw this challenged and we are still dealing with a display of treasonous behavior while they accuse the winners of the same.

It is not acceptable and it wasn't even that close.  The number of people willing to believe it according to the polls is absolutely shocking and is indicative that we have so many willing to ignore the laws or think somehow the country is filled with traitors.  Well maybe it is, unfortunately.

No comments:

Post a Comment