Monday, January 24, 2022

Public- Private

 Think about the bureaucracies you have to deal with. Consider the one that almost everyone had to deal with and the one that was the epitome of slow and bad service, Motor Vehicle Departments.  It was a large organization dealing with almost everyone from people who wanted to keep taking their pictre until they got one they liked to people who couldn't fill out a form properly.

I don't know about how everyone else feels about it but from my limited exposure they have improved significantly over the years.  They are still bureaucratic, (they have to be) and at times, seemingly uncaring.  However, if you need a license or registration and do what they tell you to do you will get one. How many millions of vehicles and drivers are there, all of whom dealt with a motor vehicle department.

I can pretty much guarantee that they have faced significant budget cuts over the years and while some of what they do has been automated, they have always managed to get the job done.

It hasn't been turned into a pleasant experience although you see the joy of new drivers who get their first license.  

Think of a private organization that does as good, or better for similar numbers?  Take car dealerships, each of which is privately owned and there is a lot of difference.   Yes, they are trying to sell you a car but we expect them to try and take advantage of us.  I have bought a fair number of cars and I usually have done a considerable amount of research first.  Still, while I leave with a car and may think the salesman was plreasant and helpful, I leave knowing he may have screwed me in some way.

They tend to treat me better than the Motor Vehicle Department, but they are out to maximize their profit which means get me to pay more.  It's often a long tiresome process, where they force you to hear about all sorts of options and financing ou don't want.  0I now see ads on TV for apps that let you buy a car on-line without dealing with a salesman in person.  

Is either of these processes enjoyable?  Not for most people but we have to do them.  In one they are treating you better, maybe getting you a coffee or beverage but you know they are after your money.  In the other they treat you as a faceless customer.  Everyone involved is simply trying to do a job, but one's jobe involves making you pay.  I'm OK with faceless customer myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment