Thursday, April 15, 2021

Immigration

 I get on-line surveys a lot and I give my opinion and then I like to see the results of everyone else.  Today I got one about the border crisis and I said it wasn't very concerning but almost everyone else thought it was.

I was wondering why and outside of the humanitarian aspect of the children, I can't say that I see any particular threat from the increase.  I realize the media has been playing it up, especially the right wing media, but besides that what is the issue?

I suppose that some believe the silly argument that if we can't enforce our borders, we aren't a real nation?  Well besides the fact that we do enforce our borders, who came up with that definition?  Up until fairly recently there was very little border enforcement in most of the world.  Even now in much of the world you can cross borders in remote regions fairly freely.  No one questions if these places are countries, Still, what impact would that have on most people?  

Are they coming here to take people's jobs?  There is no evidence for that, they tend to get jobs no one else wants.  Some right wing media says they are here to swing elections.  They can't vote and don't even try.  If they across the border they keep a low profile.

They aren't here because of our wonderful benefit packages.  Most of the countries they left provide universal health care and we don't  Because of their status they are reticent to get involved in any bureaucracy.

I'm not saying they don't present a bit of a problem, just not a very serious one.  They are the ones that have the serious problem, much like all the immigrants who ever came here over our history.

No comments:

Post a Comment